Ghost Stories for Stormy, Winter Nights
A creature and a wolf, a mystery and some hauntings, and one whirling vengeance.
Just in time for getting cozy and reading stories on these wintery nights, we are sharing the winning short and gripping stories from our Ghost Story Writing Contest 2016.
Halifax Public Libraries and the Helen Creighton Folklore society are proud to share the winners of the 27th Annual Ghost Story Writing Contest.
"The Library Mystery," by Jackson Smith
"The Haunted House," by Kayleigh Garrison
"Bad Wolf," by Zoe Leck
"The Creature," by Yvan Lee Guy
"The Wind Blows with a Vengeance," by Mariella Lindsay-Botten
"Haunted?," by Jenna McConnell
"Ghost Writer," by Lindsey McNamara
All 27 young writers who submitted a story were honoured at the Awards Ceremony on Sunday, October 30, 2016. Thanks to the judges and to the Helen Creighton Folklore Society for providing refreshments and prizes, as well as some very spooky storytelling.
A little story surprise
Being a good storyteller is a gift. Finding two in the same family is a treasure.
On announcement day, we found out that this year's Ages 7-9 winner, Jackson Smith, had picked up the same distinction as his mother, Lori (née Wadden) Smith, had 24 years ago. In 1992, she won the same cateogry with her winning short story, "The Boy and the Violin."
This mother-son connection is a first for the Library, as far as we know.
Cheers to talented families and writers of all ages. May you always find your voice present and strong.
What's Up - Library News & Notices
- New date for tax clinic at J.D. Shatford branch
- Two nights, two sites, one continuing conversation with Life of Pi author Yann Martel
- Update on "connection is not secure” alerts for Firefox users
- Women Newcomers Invited to Conversation group at Tantallon Public Library
- New, cheaper parking rates for Halifax Central Library
- Free Income Tax Clinics have begun. Register now.
- Free pass introduces new Canadian citizens to cultural experiences
- PEOPLE and TIME/LIFE bookazines no longer available
- Preview your renovated Musquodoboit Harbour Public Library and Recreation Office
- 37 titles added to Zinio e-magazine collection
- Let the Sunshine In: Library opens new art space at Central Library
- Library Launches New Brand and Five-Year Strategic Plan
- Fun, Fearless, Frank: a new podcast called HOTCity
- Expanded printing and photocopying services