Wanted: Retirement Home for Beloved SG Mascot
Last spring, over 120 fans came to wish Geraldine, the SG Children’s Department mascot, a happy retirement. Because of Geraldine’s poor “health”, she decided in the spring that it was time to say good-bye to library work, and hopefully find a peaceful home in our community.
Geraldine is a Steiff Studio showpiece, circa the early 1980s, and was originally owned by The Dollhouse toy store on the Halifax waterfront. She was donated to the Halifax Public Libraries over 30 years ago and has lived at the Spring Garden Road branch since then, greeting customers as they enter the Youth Services Department on the first floor.
Geraldine is off travelling at the moment, but when she returns, she’ll be looking for her forever home and comfortable retirement at a private home or an institution that serves children. Do you have a spot at your institution or home for her? If so, please read the following information carefully before filling in the form to put your name in a draw to have her for your very own!
Yes! I would like to give Geraldine the Giraffe a new home!
All fields with a * must be filled in
- Geraldine is old and in poor condition. She must be accepted as-is. Specifically:
- Geraldine is 8 feet (244 cm) tall.
- She has severe damage (burns) to the top of her head and to one of her hind legs.
- The fur on her front shoulder (and in other spots) is worn off due to children petting her, and she is quite dirty.
- You must be an adult, to enter the draw.
- Businesses or organizations may also enter the draw.
- The intention of this free give-away is to give Geraldine a home, not to sell her for profit
- If you are the winner, you must arrange to pick Geraldine up from the Spring Garden branch before August 22, 2014. Note that you’ll need at least 2 people to carry her, and a large vehicle to transport her.
- Halifax Public Libraries will take names for the draw from now until July 28th, 2014, online only, using the form above. The draw will take place on Tuesday, July 29, 2014, and the winner will be contacted. If we are unable to reach the selected name by August 5th, 2014 another name shall be drawn.