January 22, 1918/April 26, 1918
The Halifax Relief Commission was initially created by a federal Order-in-Council on January 22, 1918. Part of its mandate was to administer the expenditure of the donations from a variety of governments and from the general public. On April 26, 1918, the Nova Scotia Legislature incorporated the Halifax Relief Commission and broadened its duties and power to allow it to spend its funds for repair and rebuilding of buildings destroyed or damaged in the explosion. A victim compensation scheme was also set up. The Act also allowed the Commission to begin a reconstruction project in the devastated area. Town planner Thomas Adams was hired as well as Ross and Macdonald, architects of Montreal and Halifax. The Halifax Relief Commission was dissolved in 1976.