A new year and new Autism Tools to explore! In 2017, we partnered with Autism Nova Scotia to launch 3 different Autism Tools kits: Sensory Tools, Visual Tools, and Fidget Tools. This year we are introducing you to our newest kit: Communication Tools.
We collaborated with Autism Nova Scotia to create a kit that offers samples of communication tools for you to explore. This kit is a great way to discover which tools work best for you.
What is included in the Communication Tools kit?
In our efforts to communicate, we often rely on methods other than speech to get our point across. We use hand gestures, facial expressions, written notes, and pictures—all forms of augmentative and alternative communication. The samples and information provided in this kit are helpful with supporting communication and daily activities or tasks.
Included in the Communication Tools kit are:
- Picture Exchange System (PECS) binder with a sample of communication cards
- Instructions on how to make your own PECS binder
- Reusable dry erase surface with First/Then template and markers
- First/Then cards instructions and sample
- American Sign Language Flash Cards
- The Power Card Strategy 2.0: Using Special Interests to Motivate Children and Youth with Autism Spectrum Disorder by Elisa Gagnon
How to borrow
Please return the complete Autism Tools kit to a Service Desk. Please do not return the kits through a book drop.