With STEAM at Home Kits, kids can build skills, discover new interests and, most importantly, learn through fun-filled experiences. These wonderful grab & go activities can keep children engaged in exploring and learning all year round.
About STEAM at Home
How it works
- Participants can obtain a STEAM at Home Kit by calling or visiting their local branch. Note: Some branches also host registration for kits via our website. * While supplies last.
- In July 2021, we released our first STEAM at Home Kit for Foldscopes. This is our second kit and they are now available for pick-up.
- Each kit includes a magnetic wand, various magnets, an activity guide, a paper maze, and accessories.
- We have provided accessories for a few activities, as well as suggestions to inspire your own activity ideas.
- Share your discoveries with the Library community for a chance to have your experiment featured in our online gallery.
About Magnet Kits
The forces of magnetism are all around us, including in our cell phones, medical devices, and automobiles. Without magnets, simple daily tasks could become impossible—like closing your refrigerator door!
Support for this kit
The magnet kit contains wooden dowels that may have sharp edges, as well as small pieces that may pose a choking hazard. These kits are suitable for ages 8 and up.
With the accessories supplied in this kit, you will learn about the properties of magnetism and the forces of attraction and repulsion as you experiment with magnetic pyramids, navigate mazes, defy gravity, and more. Here are a few examples!
Using wooden dowels and elastic bands, construct a pyramid, then hang a ring magnet down the centre. Experiment with the placement or movement of other magnets to see the effect on the hanging ring magnet.
Fill a container with water and add some small magnets or metallic objects. Using a magnet tied to a string like a fishing rod, try to pick up as many items, or “fish”, as you can from the container of water.
How fast can you get your magnet or paperclip through the maze we've provided? Time yourself and race a friend! Or try creating your own maze or race track.
Just like a real scientist, try making a drawing of what you create and achieve with your magnetic kit! Be sure to tag us on social media @hfxpublib if you share a photo of your discovery or creation!