Summer is a great time to explore and discover new interests as a family. STEAM at Home offers free kits and activities to experiment with through the summer. The fun starts on July 19, and will run until September 4, 2021.
With STEAM at Home Kits, kids can build skills, discover new interests and, most importantly, learn through fun-filled experiences. These wonderful activities can keep children engaged in exploring and learning all year round.
About STEAM at Home
How it works
- Participants can obtain a STEAM at Home Kit by calling or visiting their local branch. Note: Some branches also host registration for kits via our website. * Beginning July 19, while supplies last.
- Each kit includes an instruction manual, parts for assembly, a Foldscope Field Guide, and a cotton swab.
- After you have your kit, you can experiment with your Foldscope at home, in the backyard, at the beach, or anywhere else you feel inspired.
- Share your discoveries with the Library community for a chance to win a prize and have your experiment featured in our online gallery.
Share your discoveries and win
- Connect with your community and celebrate your achievements.
- Take a photo of your experiment.
- We'll share your photo(s) in our gallery on this page.
- Email your photo to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can share it in this gallery and potentially on the Library's social media accounts. Feel free to tag us at @hfxpublib with hashtag #HfxPubLibSTEAM.
- Share your photos by July 31 to be entered to win a kit of additional Foldscope accessories. The draw will take place on August 7.
- Halifax Public Libraries' Contest Ineligibility Policy applies.
- CONSENT: By submitting your photo(s), you give Halifax Public Libraries and its partners non-exclusive permission to use content of and/or made by the participant for digital or print publications. You understand that this may include, but is not limited to, social media posts, websites, newsletters, advertisements, posters and pamphlets. You also understand that on occasion, Library photos, video, audio, or publications may be shared with media outlets and community partners for use in promotions of Library events, initiatives, and stories. You certify that no other person's permission is needed to authorize the use of said images or content. You agree that Halifax Public Libraries cannot be held liable for images or content used with my consent.
What is Foldscope?
A Foldscope is a paper microscope that began as an idea to make science more accessible for everyone. It is made with paper, magnets, and a lens.
What can you see with a Foldscope?
A Foldscope lens has a magnification of 140x. With that, you can see tiny things like bacteria, blood cells, and single-celled organisms, as well as larger things like insects, fabrics, and tissues.
Support for Foldscope
The Foldscope instruments are suitable for ages 10+. Younger kids will have fun playing with them, but they’ll probably need adult or older sibling assistance to put these together.
If you need assistance with the assembly of your Foldscope, or are curious about different experiments you can try with it, please visit the Foldscope Instruments website, opens a new window.
Our Library staff will also share their Foldscope discoveries online via our website and social channels. Stay tuned!