Prepare for howling winds, creepy characters, ghostly ships, strange apparitions, and things that go “bump” in the night.
For over 30 years, we've been hosting our Ghost Story Writing Contest in partnership with the Helen Creighton Folklore Society. We're inviting youth to get creative with thoughts of sly spirits and mysterious creatures, and submit their best campfire story.
- The contest is open to youth ages 7 to 15.
- Submit your ghostly tale in one of the following age categories: 7-9, 10-12, and 13-15.
- The contest runs until Monday, September 7, 2020.
- The story must be your own work: either an original piece, or a retelling (in your own words) of a ghost story that you’ve heard.
- Judges will pick the two ghostliest stories in each age category to receive book prizes.
- Winners will be announced and all entrants honoured at an awards ceremony in Fall 2020.
- Limit of one story per writer. Individual entries only; group or class submissions will not be accepted.
- Entries can be submitted by:
-Dropping them off at any branch of Halifax Public Libraries.
Ghost Story Contest
Alderney Gate Public Library
60 Alderney Dr.
Dartmouth, NS B2Y 4P8
For more information, please visit your Library's Info Desk or call Ask the Library at 902-490-5753.