Help remove a big barrier for newcomer parents
Newcomers want to develop essential language skills in English in order to enjoy fully their new home. If you're a newcomer parent with young children and no access to childcare, however, there is one big barrier to participation: what to do with the kids during classes.
We can remove this barrier with a little help from neighbours, like you.
About Volunteer Play Assistant
The Library's Volunteer Play Assistant is an adult volunteer position supporting newcomer parents by providing a supervised play program for their preschool children while they take ELL classes. Your help with their children enables their participation.
What you'll be doing
- Prepare materials for activities, such as cutting craft items.
- Set up the play area with a variety of toys and games as well as space/supplies for more structured activities.
- Supervise children ages 1-5 in the use of age-appropriate toys and games.
- Deliver simple craft/ story activities which have been planned by library staff.
- Clean up and put away materials after the session.
- Are at least 18 years of age.
- Have great interpersonal and communication skills.
- Are friendly and outgoing and enjoy meeting new people.
- Are reliable and punctual.
- Have experience working with pre-school aged children.
- Can lead children in engaging and age-appropriate play activities within a structured session.
- Can interact effectively with both parents and children from a wide-variety of cultural backgrounds.
- Will take cultural sensitivities into consideration when leading activities.
- May have some competency in a language other than English (asset, not a requirement).
How much time it takes
While the Fall 2022 ELL session schedule is not yet final, the minimum time commitment would be for one weekly 2-3 hour session. Daytime, late afternoon and evening sessions are available.
Criminal Records Check
All volunteers will require a Criminal Records Check. The Library will initiate these through MyBackCheck.com and will also cover the cost.
Volunteer Services Manager