Bulletin boards and pamphlet displays are part of Halifax Public Libraries' service priority to provide a focal point for the community. In branches where space is limited, the first objective for use of these resources is to advertise library programs and services. When space permits, the second objective is to provide the public with information concerning the community, especially that pertaining to educational, cultural, recreational, and charitable events.
The library neither approves nor disapproves of the content, subject matter or points of view expressed in the community information posted, nor is it responsible for the reliability of information or services posted.
Community groups and individuals requesting space are required to submit their material to the library for posting or distribution. The library does not return the material after use. The library is not responsible for lost or damaged materials and cannot guarantee how long it will be displayed or in which position.
Information from the community is displayed or distributed only in designated community information areas except when related to events or projects that are co-sponsored with the library.
The following statement will be posted on all bulletin boards:
Bulletin Board space is provided as a service to the community. The library neither approves nor disapproves of the content, subject matter or points of view expressed in the community information posted, nor is it responsible for the reliability of the information or services posted.
Materials submitted must fall within these guidelines:
Material Acceptable for Posting or Distribution
- Educational courses and programs
- Information of a cultural nature such as concerts, theatre, art gallery shows, etc.
- Events run by, or to raise funds for, non-profit organizations
- Free community information (health, civic, social, religious)
- Programs sponsored by local community organizations
- Materials advertising community-based commercial/private sales or services (at branches where space permits)
Material Not Acceptable for Posting or Distribution
- Political campaign flyers/posters
- Material which would violate the NS Human Rights Code & Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms
- Materials so large in size (such as posters) as to exclude posting of other items.
- Criminal Code
- Commercial advertising