Donating books and other items
Are you looking for a home for your old books, magazines, and technology equipment?
We think it's great that you want to share with your community, and naturally you thought of the Library. You're not alone. Each year, we receive many hundreds of donated items—much more than we can accommodate.
Storing, sorting, and disposing of unused items creates work for our staff, so please check the list below to see what types of items we accept and, if in doubt, give us a call at (902) 490-5744.
What you can donate
Items in our collection get a lot of love! Donated items need to be in excellent condition to stand up to the wear and tear.
We do accept:
- Recent bestsellers and books that have been published in the last five years
- Foreign language books
- Local history titles
- DVDs, Blu-rays and music CDs in their original packaging
We do not accept:
- Items that are out-of-date or soon to be, for example older computer models, VHS tapes and cassettes, magazines, textbooks, travel guides
- Items that are likely to be in low demand, for example Encyclopedias, Reader’s Digest Condensed Books
- Items that are already well-stocked (check the catalogue to see if copies are available)
- Items in poor condition, for example items with yellowing pages, musty or moldy books
These types of items aren't suited to Library life. You may still have some alternatives:
- Donate to a thrift shop or the Salvation Army
- Donate to a local charity - several charities host book sale fundraisers including Kermesse and Women for Music
- Recycling—there's information on the Halifax website about how to recycle books
A few things to keep in mind
- We actively manage our collection. We'll decide how to classify, shelve, and display donated items—often items are sold to raise funds for Library collections and services
- We don't provide tax receipts for books and other donated items
How to donate items
If you have an item that we're looking for, you can drop off donations at any of our branches.
If you have a large quantity of items to donate, please call ahead to make sure the branch is able to accept the donation—storage space is limited.
Unfortunately, we're unable to pick up donations of books and other items.