The Library collects materials related to Halifax County and Nova Scotia, as well as select materials about New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland.
In particular, we're looking for:
- Church histories
- Cook books
- Community history
- Genealogy indexes and transcriptions
- Government documents
- Halifax County magazines and community papers
- Natural history
- Newspapers on microfilm
- 19th and 20th century maps of Halifax and Nova Scotia
- Peoples of the Maritimes (Acadians, Mi’kmaq, Loyalists, African Nova Scotians, etc.)
- Published family histories
- Ships, shipping, and shipwrecks
- Studies on culture, economy, institutions, transportation, sports, etc.
- Telephone and city directories
- Vintage tourist pamphlets and guidebooks
There are some materials we cannot accept:
- Archival manuscripts and records
- Musty, water-damaged, missing pages, or highlighted passages
- Unpublished family histories
All donations need to meet our guidelines for donating books and other items.