About the space
Halifax Central Library’s Media Studio is the place where your digital dreams become reality—for free.
Located on the 2nd Floor of Central Library, the Media Studio has two recording spaces and two workstations filled with the finest equipment and software to master your next jingle, chart-topper, podcast, video, or design. Bring your own instruments and tools, or use ours. View our Media Studio inventory, opens a new window.
Whether you’re trying your hand at something new or a seasoned pro, our friendly staff will be on hand to provide virtual assistance before and during your session. All you need is your library card.
Request a booking
- Have your library card on hand. No card? No problem! Sign up for a temporary digital card here, and visit us soon to get your physical card.
- Visit our booking request page, opens a new window to watch our orientation videos and fill out our Media Studio request form.
- We’ll be in touch! Our staff will connect with you to confirm and discuss your booking.
- Before you visit, bring what you need. Bring any instruments or tools of your own. You’ll also need to bring your own large-capacity thumb drive to save your work. All files will be wiped from computers after your session.
Studios and equipment
The Media Studio has two recording spaces equipped with everything you need to start recording, and two fully-loaded iMacs complete with all the software you need for your audio, video, and design projects.
Our iMacs come fully loaded with a variety of recording and editing programs including:
- Logic Pro X
- Final Cut Pro
- Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere Pro, InDesign, and more)
Improve your skills and get inspired!
Take a course online
With your library card, you have access to more than 4,000 video tutorials taught by industry experts on LinkedIn Learning. This is a great way to learn about photography, graphic design, animation, audio, and music production, web design, and more on-demand and at your own pace.