Together, we are responsible for making sure the Library is a safe and welcoming place for everyone. This includes our online community: our website and social media presence, including but not limited to our blog, Facebook page, opens a new window, Twitter, opens a new window, and Instagram profile, opens a new window.
A respectful and socially conscious environment
As a member of the Halifax Public Libraries community, you are part of a wider group that is open and welcoming to everyone. We are committed to always championing a respectful and socially conscious environment. Therefore, we reserve the right to remove any content or comments posted on our website or social media channels at any time for any reason.
Decisions as to whether content violates any Community Guideline will be made at the discretion of Halifax Public Libraries at any time after posting. To help ensure a safe and welcoming experience for everyone, we have provided guidelines for engaging in our online community.
Please refrain from posting material that:
- Contains vulgar, profane, abusive, or hateful language, epithets or slurs, text or illustrations in poor taste, inflammatory attacks of a personal, racial or religious nature, or expressions of bigotry, racism, discrimination, or hate.
- Is defamatory, threatening, disparaging, inflammatory, false, misleading, deceptive, fraudulent, inaccurate, unfair, contains gross exaggeration or unsubstantiated claims, violates the privacy rights of any third party, is unreasonably harmful or offensive to any individual or community, contains any actionable statement, or tends to mislead or reflect unfairly on any other person, business or entity.
- Violates any right of Halifax Public Libraries or any third party.
- Discriminates on the grounds of any of the protected characteristics under the Nova Scotia Human Rights Act; or refers to such matters in any manner prohibited by law.
- Violates any municipal, provincial, or federal law, rule, regulation, or ordinance; or attempts to encourage such an evasion or violation.
- Unfairly interferes with any third party's uninterrupted use and enjoyment of Halifax Public Libraries’ online community.
- Advertises, promotes or offers to trade any goods or services, except in areas specifically designated for such purpose.
- Advertises or otherwise promotes a candidate for office, political party, or issue.
- Uploads copyrighted or other proprietary material of any kind on Halifax Public Libraries’ website or accounts without the express permission of the owner of that material.
- Includes images, photos, or articles or other content that constitutes, promotes or encourages illegal acts, violation of any right of any individual or entity, violation of any municipal, provincial, or federal law.
- Uploads or transmits viruses or other harmful, disruptive or destructive files.
- Disrupts, interferes with, or otherwise harms or violates the security of Halifax Public Libraries, or any services, system resources, accounts, passwords, servers, or networks connected to or accessible through Halifax Public Libraries or affiliated or linked sites.
- "Flames" any individual or entity (e.g., sends repeated messages related to another user and/or makes derogatory or offensive comments about another individual), or repeats prior posting of the same message under multiple threads or subjects.
If a post is removed due to violation of the Online Community Guidelines as outlined above, Halifax Public Libraries’ account will notify the user (if available/accessible) via a message and referring the user (via link) to the Online Community Guidelines.
If a user repeatedly violates the Online Community Guidelines as outlined above, Halifax Public Libraries reserves the right to block and/or report the account in question.