When you make a donation to the Library, you have a lasting, positive impact on your community.
Few places level the playing field and bring the community together like the Library. We're committed to providing free access for everyone to a diverse collection, vibrant spaces, and engaging events. Whether big or small, your donations help make this possible.
Ways to give
One of the easiest ways to give is to make a donation online.
The form only takes a few minutes to complete and allows you to:
- Make personal or corporate donations
- Set the amount of your donation as a one-time or recurring gift
- Give to the area of greatest need or request that funds go to support a particular area
- Make tribute or memorial donations in honour of someone
You can also make a donation by:
- Visiting any of our locations in person
- Calling us at (902) 490-5763
- Mailing the printable donation form to: Halifax Public Libraries, 60 Alderney Drive, Dartmouth, NS B2Y 4P8
When you give
- You will receive a tax receipt for all donations of $10 or more.
- For each donation of $25 or more, you have the option to have a bookplate placed in a book in our collection to acknowledge your donation. You can choose the book, or we can, and you can pick the text for the bookplate—it's a great way to honour a friend, colleague or favourite teacher, or to remember a loved one.
Donating books and other items
We accept donations of some books and audio visual materials. In particular, we're looking for:
- Recent bestsellers and books that have been published in the last 5 years
- Foreign language books
- Local history titles
- DVDs, Blu-rays and music CDs
Items in our collection get a lot of love! Donated items will need to be in excellent condition to stand up to wear and tear. There are also a few types of items that we don't accept.
Find out more about how to donate books and other items.