With three volunteer hours a week, you can help newcomers settle into their new community.
Together, we will:
- overcome language barriers
- build cultural understanding
- achieve a sense of community
What you'll be doing
Once a week for 2 hours, you'll meet 1-on-1 or with a small group of adults looking to improve their English communication skills. You'll help them practice their English conversation skills and learn about the local community.
Learn more about our English Language Learning program.
- No experience is necessary. We provide training and support for all our volunteers!
- You're interested in meeting people from around the globe and learning about culture.
- You're able to commit to a scheduled 2-3 hour weekly time commitment for at least 3 months.
Training for ELL Volunteers
We offer a series of workshops for our ELL Volunteers including:
- ELL Basics
- Cultural Awareness Training
- ESL Literacy
- Goal Setting and Lesson Planning
Our program coordinator will work with you to determine which workshops are best for you.
We're looking for ELL Volunteers at the following locations:
Become an ELL Volunteer
To get started, submit a completed ELL Volunteer Application form in person or by mail, fax, or email to:
Adult Literacy & ESL Coordinator
Halifax Public Libraries
60 Alderney Gate Dr.
Dartmouth, NS B2Y 4P8
Phone: (902) 490-6378
Fax: (902) 490-5762