Halifax Central Library’s Lou Duggan Creative Studio is a public makerspace where people are invited to Learn, Discover, Create, and Share (see what we did there?).
In January 2020, the Lou Duggan Creative Studio officially opened, honouring the memory of its namesake, Lou Duggan.
About the space
Located on the 2nd Floor of Central Library, the Lou Duggan Creative Studio is a wide-open, flexible space filled with state-of-the art technology and creative equipment, available to all. The Studio's full-length windows face the intersection of Queen Street and Spring Garden Road.
The Lou Duggan Creative Studio frequently hosts programs for all ages and interests. From our Creative Studio DIYs (an open studio time for you to work on your own projects) to workshops that teach specific skills, we’ve got your making needs covered.
Equipment and supplies
View our inventory list by activity below—we'll keep it updated as new tools are added.
- 2 Prusa 3D Printers
- 1 Jellybox 3D Printer
- PLA (PolyLacic Acid) in a variety of colours
- Laptops to access Thingiverse and Tinkercad
- Acrylic paint
- Drawing pencils and pens
- Pencil crayons
- Watercolour paints & pencil crayons
- Variety of papers
Craft & Jewellery
- Craft knives
- Cutting mats
- Glue guns
- Heat guns
- Jewellery tools
- Junk Journal materials
- Scrapbooking materials
- Stamp Carving materials
- Washi tape
- 1 Cricut Maker
- 1 Cricut Explore Family
- 1 Cricut Joy
- Easy Press 2
- Materials: cutting mats, weeding tools, non-permanent vinyl for stickers, paper, HTV (Heat Transfer Vinyl) for iron-ons
Fibre Arts Supplies
- Cross Stitch
- Iron and ironing board
- Hand Sewing
- Mini Mending Looms
- Yarn Winder and Swift Umbrella
Food & Gardening
- Aeroponic tower garden (Now on Floor 1, Central Library.)
- Fully stocked kitchen for cooking programs (Not available during regular programming.)
- Singer Heavy Duty Sewing Machines
- Singer Heavy Duty Digital Sewing Machine
- Serger (Brother Model 3545 DT)
- Embroidery Machine (Brother SE 600)
- Scrap fabric
- Sewing & Mending supplies
- Arduino Microcontroller Kits
- Epson Ecotank Inkjet Printer
- IPEVO Document Scanner
- Light tables
- Magnifying glass
- Soldering irons
- Third Hand Tool
Improve your skills and get inspired!
Lou Duggan Creative Studio Programs
We host regular drop-in programs, and a variety of craft and technology, and cooking workshops each month. Join us!
Check out Full STEAM Ahead for kids, ages 7-12. Registration opens 2 weeks in advance and they fill up fast.
With your library card, you have access to more than 4,000 video tutorials taught by industry experts on LinkedIn Learning. This is a great way to learn about 3D printing, fashion design, starting a small business, branding, marketing, and more.
Explore all Things Art & Craft
Visit our Art & Craft portal page for upcoming Library events, curated reading lists filled with craft books, and blogs from the Library's most creative minds.
Share with us
We'll be sharing community DIYs on our social channels and here in our gallery, and hope to see a colourful mosaic of creativity! Tag us @hfxpublib and use #LouDugganCreativeStudio.