Each year, Nova Scotia welcomes thousands of newcomers to the province. Getting started in a new place is big job, especially if English isn't your first language!
By volunteering just a few hours a week, you can help people practice their English conversation skills, make new connections, and learn about life in Nova Scotia.
What you'll be doing
Once a week for 2 hours, you'll participate in a group discussion with adults who are learning English as a second language. Together, you'll discuss current events and topics of personal interest in a fun and relaxing atmosphere—a great chance to introduce newcomers to our community, make new friends, and learn about culture. All our conversation groups are facilitated by experienced volunteers.
Learn more about our English Conversation Groups.
- You have great interpersonal and communication skills
- You're knowledgeable about local culture and life
- You have experience in ESL, group facilitation, or tutoring
- You can commit to volunteer for 3 months
You'll benefit from:
- Building a sense of belonging for immigrants and newcomers
- Gaining valuable skills and experience
- Learning about new cultures and customs
- Having a fun and rewarding time
Available positions fluctuate through out the year. We're currently looking for volunteers at the following locations:
Become an ECG Volunteer
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.