Explore our collection
You can borrow from our collection of over 150 instruments using your library card—just like you borrow books.
- Acoustic guitars (nylon-stringed & steel-stringed in various sizes, for both right- and left-handed players)
- Acoustic bass guitars
- Electric guitars
- Violins (various sizes)
Borrow and play
- Log on to our website.
- Click the Place a Hold button beside the instrument.
- Select your pick-up location. Instruments can be picked up at any of our 14 branches.
- You can borrow 1 instrument per card at a time.
- Instruments can be borrowed for 3 weeks, with up to 3 renewals if there are no holds.
- Fines for overdue instruments will be charged at $0.25 per day late.
- A replacement fee may apply to lost or damaged items.
- All musical instruments must be returned in-person to a Library Borrower Services desk. Do not return instruments via book drops.
Together, we are responsible for keeping this unique collection in good working order for the whole community that shares the instruments.
Click through to view instructional care videos for the different instruments in our collection.
Donate to our collection
Help grow our collection by donating a new or gently used instrument.
- The donation drive is taking place from July 11 to August 11, 2018.
- We can accept new or gently used portable keyboards, hand drums, and string instruments like guitars, violins, banjos, and ukuleles. We are unable to accept wind instruments at this time.
- Drop off your donations at any branch of Halifax Public Libraries or at Long & McQuade, 6065 Cunard Street, Halifax.
Your generous donation will help make music more accessible in our community. Thank you!
About Sun Life Financial
This program was made possible through a partnership with Sun Life Financialopens a new window. Sun Life Financial has a long history of supporting arts and culture in Canada, and believes arts and culture should be celebrated within our communities and made available to everyone, regardless of their means. Halifax Public Libraries is grateful for Sun Life Financial's contribution to our community.