Our Strategic Plan: Ideas to Action 2017-2021 was informed by our Let's Talk Libraries community and staff engagement program that began in Spring 2016.
We asked for your perspectives on public libraries and your responses allowed us to reach a richer understanding of your needs and aspirations—and how we can help you achieve all that is possible.
Download the full Strategic Plan: Ideas to Action 2017-2021 (PDF, 2MB)
We work for the collective growth of our community, with people at the heart of all we do.
Priorities: our possible
Our priorities reflect our community's needs. Your best ideas lead to our best work. Each priority is interconnected with the others. We will:
- Expand our organizational capacity
- Support sharing and creation of knowledge and enjoyment
- Create vibrant spaces
- Meet people where they are
- Encourage social and economic growth
Strategic drivers: our values
We're driven by achieving excellence in technology, diversity, service, and access. These values form the foundation required for the best possible outcomes for our community.
- Leading edge technologies and technology training. A strong and trustworthy presence on web and digital platforms. Responding to our increasingly digital world. Digital literacy for all.
- A mosaic of cultures and voices representative of Halifax and beyond. Safe and welcoming environments. Celebrating diversity through programs, materials, and education.
- The Library’s team sharing skills and knowledge to provide the best service possible.
- Access to high quality information, tools, stories, and enrichment opportunities for everyone.
Ethos: our spirit
We will Reach Further, Push Boundaries and Be Brave to live our vision. We will go beyond what is expected, creating outstanding experiences for our community members at every touch point of our organization.