Status of Library Service
Table of Contents
News Media Contact
Latest Update: Tuesday, July 13, 2021
While we keep our staff and community safe.
Effective Wednesday, July 14 at 12:00 AM:
- All locations will enter into Phase 4 reopening.
- Programming will increase in number and seating, where possible. Online events will continue.
- Community Room rentals will resume at selection locations with reduced capacities and masks required. Same-day study room bookings are available at applicable locations and the Media Studio at Central Library will continue.
- Technology help will resume, with masks required.
- All borrower services will remain open, including Curbside Pick-up during and Book Drops.
- Public computers will remain available with limited stations and bookings.
- Our Ask the Library phone service will remain open for all inquiries.
- Masks must be worn and physical distancing maintained while inside facilities and using in-person Library services.
Be sure to check your local branch or library office for specific information on your local branch.
Health & Safety
When using all Library services, community members are required to follow recommendations from Public Health to help keep you and others healthy.
- Face masks must be worn when inside our locations and when using our Curbside Pick-up service.
- Physical distancing is expected of all visitors.
- Food and drink are not allowed inside the Library.
- Remember: wash your hands frequently, cough or sneeze into your elbow, and avoid touching your face.
Ask the Library
Call us at 902-490-5753
You can call Ask the Library with questions you'd usually ask in person, or just to chat.
Email us at AskLib@halifax.ca
You can email us your general inquiries, requests for reading recommendations, or research questions to AskLib@halifax.ca. Our team will work to answer in a timely manner.
Access to information is always a must, and when we are being encouraged to stay home, a library's collection is essential. At Halifax Public Libraries, it's easy to borrow.
- Need a library card? Get a digital card and start borrowing!
- The Library is officially fine-free!
- We've made updates to borrowing and loans in response to COVID-19.
- With Curbside Pick-up in place, returns and holds are working as usual.
Room Bookings, Rentals & Donations
Book a Space
- Community Room rentals will resume during Phase 4 of reopening, with some rooms remaining unavailable.
- Select locations with Study Rooms will take free same-day bookings for two hour durations.
- The Media Studio at Central Library is open for free bookings. All users must complete an orientation session to use the space safely.
- Premium Venue rentals at Central Library are unavailable at this time.
- The Library is not currently accepting material donations in Phase 4.
Our What's On calendar now features a mix of event types. We host online, outdoor, and in-person, depending on the phase we are in. Safety protocols will be stated on each event listing.
- In-branch - All indoor programs will resume for Phase 4 reopening, with limited seating.
- Outdoor - Safe distancing is key to our outdoor events, and if the event has shared materials, they are wiped down after each use.
- Online - The Library uses Zoom for hosting our online events. With internet access, any device, and a click of a link, you can join us online. New to Zoom? Read our article on how-to connect with Zoom.
- On-demand - To help keep you occupied at home and as needed, we add activities for all ages to our Virtual Library pages.
Your E-Library is always here for you, at home
- Discover must-reads and classics: E-Books
- Listen along: Audiobooks
- Find a new story: Staff Picks
- Learn something new, or watch a favourite film: Online Resources
- Explore our blog for creative activities and insights: Blog
- Browse our channel for interactive videos created by staff: hfxpublib YouTube