Status of Library Service
Table of Contents
News Media Contact
Latest Update: Thursday, February 11, 2021
We can't wait to see you!
Please note the following changes to Library service:
- All branches of Halifax Public Libraries are open. Click here for branch locations and hours.
- Face masks must be worn when you visit the Library.
- Food and drink is not permitted at the Library until further notice.
- All branches will continue to offer Curbside Pick-up service. Click here, opens a new window for Curbside Pick-up hours.
- All Book Drops are open.
- Virtual Library programs will go ahead as scheduled.
All branches of Halifax Public Libraries are open for in-person services. Curbside Pick-up remains available at all locations.
Be sure to check here for specific information on your local branch.
Health & Safety
When you visit us, you must follow recommendations from public health that will help keep you and others healthy.
Face masks must be worn when you visit the Library. You should also wear a mask when using our Curbside Pick-up service. The province of Nova Scotia requires masks to be worn in most indoor spaces.
Remember: wash your hands frequently, cough or sneeze into your elbow, avoid touching your face, and practice physical distancing.
Here's what the Library is doing to help keep you safe:
- All Library branches have accessible washrooms to allow for frequent hand washing. Hand sanitizer is also available.
- Washroom cleaning frequency has increased.
- Easy-to-follow signage and decals will be posted at all branches to help everyone navigate our spaces.
- Gathering areas, such as group seating or computer stations, have either been separated or sectioned off to allow for physical distancing.
- High-touch surfaces such as desks, self-check machines, computers, and doors, will be frequently sanitized. Depending on the Library branch, sanitizing of self-check machines or shared technology may be done by community members before use by using supplied sanitizing wipes.
- Most children's toys and games have been removed.
- Library staff frequently wash hands during their work shift.
- Masks are available if you need one for your Library visit.
- Food and drink is temporarily not allowed in the Library.
The Province of Nova Scotia provides recommendations on how to protect yourself and reduce the spread of COVID-19.
Ask the Library
Serving the public is always a priority for Halifax Public Libraries, and our community members’ best interests are on all our minds. Ask the Library is here to help!
You can call us with questions you'd usually ask in person, or just to chat. The number is 902-490-5753.
You can also email us your questions at AskLib@halifax.ca, and our team will work to answer in a timely manner.
All Book Drops remain open. Please note: hours of branch Book Drops may have changed. Click here for Book Drop hours at your local branch.
If a Book Drop you visit is closed, we ask that you do not leave items outside the Book Drop.
We want to be together, and be safe.
Following health and safety protocols, the Library is gradually resuming in-person programs. An attendance limit will be set for each in-person program according to the established COVID-19 capacity for each branch, program space, and program set-up.
Participants are expected to be socially distanced, wear masks, and follow other library COVID-19 protocols as necessary. Please refer to your program listing on the What’s On calendar and check for special guidelines under How to Participate.
Virtual Library Programs
We're still here for you at home.
The Library's Virtual Library programs have been a great success. We plan to continue offering a wide range of Virtual Library programs for all age groups over the coming months.
Are you new to Virtual Library programs? You can enjoy a Virtual Library program from the comfort of home, or while you're on the move! Check out this blog on how to connect with Zoom and attend using your computer or mobile device.
We're still here for you, at home
- Discover must-reads and classics: E-Books
- Listen along: Audiobooks
- Find a new story: Staff Picks
- Learn something new, or watch a favourite film: Online Resources
- Ideas for staying connected by Library staff: Endless Ideas