Status of Library Service
Table of Contents
News Media Contact
Latest Update: Monday, January 18, 2021
We can't wait to see you!
Please note the following changes to Library service:
- All branches of Halifax Public Libraries are open. Click here for branch locations and hours.
- Face masks must be worn when you visit the Library.
- Food and drink is not permitted at the Library until further notice.
- All branches will continue to offer Curbside Pick-up service. Click here for Curbside Pick-up hours.
- All Book Drops are open.
- Virtual Library programs will go ahead as scheduled.
Potential COVID-19 Exposure
Please scroll to the Health & Safety section of this page for more information.
All branches of Halifax Public Libraries are open for in-person services. Curbside Pick-up remains available at all locations.
Be sure to check here for specific information on your local branch.
Health & Safety
When you visit us, you must follow recommendations from public health that will help keep you and others healthy.
Face masks must be worn when you visit the Library. You should also wear a mask when using our Curbside Pick-up service. The province of Nova Scotia requires masks to be worn in most indoor spaces.
Remember: wash your hands frequently, cough or sneeze into your elbow, avoid touching your face, and practice physical distancing.
Here's what the Library is doing to help keep you safe:
- All Library branches have accessible washrooms to allow for frequent hand washing. Hand sanitizer is also available.
- Washroom cleaning frequency has increased.
- Easy-to-follow signage and decals will be posted at all branches to help everyone navigate our spaces.
- Gathering areas, such as group seating or computer stations, have either been separated or sectioned off to allow for physical distancing.
- High-touch surfaces such as desks, self-check machines, computers, and doors, will be frequently sanitized. Depending on the Library branch, sanitizing of self-check machines or shared technology may be done by community members before use by using supplied sanitizing wipes.
- Most children's toys and games have been removed.
- Library staff frequently wash hands during their work shift.
- Masks are available if you need one for your Library visit.
- Food and drink is temporarily not allowed in the Library.
The Province of Nova Scotia provides recommendations on how to protect yourself and reduce the spread of COVID-19.
Potential COVID-19 Exposure
- Issued Saturday, November 21. Halifax Central Library (5440 Spring Garden Rd, Halifax) on November 16 between 3:00pm-5:30pm. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus at this location on November 16 may develop symptoms up to, and including November 30. Anyone present at this location during this time is asked to monitor for symptoms of COVID-19.
Ask the Library
Serving the public is always a priority for Halifax Public Libraries, and our community members’ best interests are on all our minds. Ask the Library is here to help!
You can call us with questions you'd usually ask in person, or just to chat. The number is 902-490-5753.
You can also email us your questions at AskLib@halifax.ca, and our team will work to answer in a timely manner.
All Book Drops remain open. Please note: hours of branch Book Drops may have changed. Click here for Book Drop hours at your local branch.
If a Book Drop you visit is closed, we ask that you do not leave items outside the Book Drop.
Following health and safety protocols, the Library is gradually resuming in-person programs starting with English Language Learning and Adult Literacy. Updates will be provided on additional in-person programs soon.
Virtual Library Programs
We're still here for you at home.
The Library's Virtual Library programs have been a great success. We plan to continue offering a wide range of Virtual Library programs for all age groups over the coming months.
Are you new to Virtual Library programs? You can enjoy a Virtual Library program from the comfort of home, or while you're on the move! Check out this blog on how to connect with Zoom and attend using your computer or mobile device.
We're still here for you, at home
- Discover must-reads and classics: E-Books
- Listen along: Audiobooks
- Find a new story: Staff Picks
- Learn something new, or watch a favourite film: Online Resources
- Ideas for staying connected by Library staff: Endless Ideas