Program Assistant Volunteers
You can help create a child's lifelong love of the Library.
At the Library, we know building social connections at a young age can make a world of difference. You can help create a safe and engaging environment for children to play with others.
What you’ll be doing
As a volunteer Program Assistant, you will work beside other volunteers to support library staff during on-floor play programming for elementary school-aged children after school.
Specific tasks will include:
- Setting up the play area with a variety of toys and games as well as space or supplies for more structured activities.
- Engaging children in the use of age-appropriate toys, games, and other materials.
- Deliver simple craft/ story activities that have been planned by Library staff.
- Cleaning up and put away materials after the play session.
If you have the following qualities and experience, then we want you to apply.
- At least 18 years of age
- Available for at least 2-hour shifts per week
- Work well as a part of a team
- Great interpersonal and communication skills
- Friendly and outgoing, and enjoy meeting new people
- Reliable and punctual
- Comfortable working in a very busy, high-energy environment
- Experience working with school-aged children
- Able to lead children in engaging and age-appropriate play activities within a structured, high-energy session.
- Will take cultural sensitivities into consideration when leading activities.
- May have some competency in a language other than English. Note: This is an asset and not a requirement.
Where and When
All positions have been filled for Summer 2023.