Business & Careers
We've got all the tools you need to start, manage and grow a thriving business. Find business plans, models and blueprints. Learn about emerging companies, how to raise venture capital and apply for small business loans. There are also financial management guides and investment portfolios.
Find a Local Group or Organization
Small Business Startup
One-on-one consultations for entrepreneurs at the Halifax Central Library. Starting or expanding a business can be an overwhelming prospect. Let us guide you to resources that can help lessen the anxiety. Geared toward the startup entrepreneur, each 45 minute one-on-one information session is tailored to your business idea. More info...
Use databases to find information about industry trends, statistics and startup advice. Includes articles from:
- Business magazines: Good sources for background information
- Trade journals: Targeted for a specific industry/trade; invaluable resource for small business owners
- Newspapers: First to carry information about changes in your field/industry
- Business Plans Handbook (eBook edition)
Actual business plans compiled by, and aimed at, entrepreneurs. From a variety of industries.
General Reference Centre
General interest items, mostly US-based.
Canadian journals and magazines. Full-text coverage of Halifax Daily News from 1990 on.
Eureka.cc (formerly Newscan.com; on-site access only)
Over 4000 titles from around the world including the New York Times, the Guardian, and local newspapers including the Chronicle Herald, Cape Breton Post, New Glasgow Evening News and Truro Daily News.
Lynda.com includes over 4,000 video tutorial courses taught by industry experts on topics including business, photography, graphic design, project management, animation, audio and music production, web design, marketing, job interview preparation, public speaking, and more. Access is free to anyone with a Halifax Public Libraries card.
Suggested Reading Lists - Business
- Starting a Business (Print PDF)
- Market Research (Print PDF)
- Operating a Business (Print PDF)
- Growing a Business (Print PDF)
- Fund-Raising and Non-Profit Management (Print PDF)
Suggested Reading Lists - Careers
- Choosing Your Career (Print PDF)
- The Hidden Job Market (Print PDF)
- Preparing for Your Interview (Print PDF)
Business Start-Up Links
- General Startup
- Business Registration
- Laws and Licenses
- Business Planning
- Market Research – How-to
- Business Directories
- Statistics and Demographics
- Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada – Economic and Market Research/Statistics
- Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada – Information by Industrial Sector
- Statistics Canada – Business, Consumer and Property Services
- National Household Survey
- Nova Scotia – Department of Finance – Economics and Statistics
- Census Tract Profiles
- Benchmarking Tools
- Marketing and Sales
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Business Advisors
- Community Business Development Corporation (CBDC)
- Centre for Women in Business – eAdvisor
- Centre for Entrepreneurial Education and Development (CEED)
- Futurpreneur Canada
- Halifax Partnership
- Halifax Partnership - Connector Program
- Immigrant Services Association of Nova Scotia (isans) - Business
- Nova Scotia Business Inc
- Sobey School of Business
- Le Conseil de développement économique de la Nouvelle-Écosse