Our staff and customers have been raving about Overdrive’s new app, Libby. A noticeable improvement over the regular OverDrive app, Libby offers a fresh, streamlined experience.
Browsing for books has never been so easy, and borrowing and downloading can be done with a few simple taps. Whether you’re travelling, on the go, or e-reading from the comfort of home, you can access OverDrive any time with Libby’s help.
When you make friends with Libby, you will have access to Halifax Public Libraries’ entire Overdrive collection of over 29,800 titles. The best part? It’s all free, with no late fees!
What’s new in Libby?
If you’re wondering if you should make the leap to Libby, check out some of our favourite new features:
- Samples of any book are available with a tap – there is nothing to download or delete.
- Use tags to create customized lists of books you love or want to read.
- Bookmarks sync across devices.
- Receive detailed waitlist information and get a better sense of when your hold will come available.
- Reversible book jackets “flip over” onscreen once you’ve borrowed a book or placed a hold, making these updates easy to spot.
- Search by series to discover more of your favourites.
- The “Also Available As” feature alerts you to additional formats available at the Library—e-books or audiobooks.
Most of all, we love the beautiful browsing experience that makes finding your next read so much fun.
How-to: Get started with Libby
New to e-books and audiobooks? No problem.
Once you’ve downloaded the app, Libby will guide you through the setup process and introduce you to all the new features.
All you need is a library card, an internet connection, and a compatible device. Libby is available for Android, iOS (iPhone/iPad/iPod touch), and Windows 10.
- Head over to the Apple App Store, opens a new window, Google Play Store, or the Windows Store, opens a new window and install the free Libby, by OverDrive app.
- Open the Libby app and search for Halifax Public Libraries.
- Tap Add Your Card to sign in with your library card or your OverDrive account.
- Search the Library's collection and start reading!
Alternatively, you can also use Libby on your Desktop or mobile browser, opens a new window, without the app.
Looking for more detailed information about Libby? You can find that here.
Tips and common questions
How do I get help with OverDrive and Libby?
If you don't find the answer on the Support site, OverDrive provides direct support to customers who use OverDrive and Libby.
Libby also has support directly in the app: clickin the top-right corner of the app, then Get Some Help to contact Libby Support, suggest an idea, or see troubleshooting options.
You can also get help with your Kobo via phone or chat, here.