Local newspapers contain obituary notices, and are a good source of information about past and current events.
The Local History Room at Central Library has microfilm copies of newspapers from Halifax and Dartmouth.
- Halifax Herald/Chronicle Herald: January, 1880 - present
- Evening Star/Mail Star: January 1894 - February 2004
- Daily News: 1980 - 2008
- Atlantic Weekly: 1893 - 1900
- Dartmouth Free Press: 1954 - 1982
- Dartmouth Patriot: 1901 - 1916; October 1992 - December 1993
- Dartmouth This Week: 1983 - 1987
- Dartmouth Times: August 1883 - November 1884
- Mirror: December 1881 - April 1882
Don't forget to check the Obituary Index for the Chronicle Herald/Mail Star from 1961 - present.
Journals, magazines, and newsletters are a great source of current historical research. For example:
- The Atlantic Advocate, by the University Press of New Brunswick
- The Griffin, by the Heritage Trust of Nova Scotia
- The Island Magazine, by the Prince Edward Island Heritage Foundation
You can try online databases such as the ProQuest, opens a new window can or visit us at Central Library to search our in-house newspaper database, Eureka.cc.