Originally published March 2020
Serving the public is always a priority for Halifax Public Libraries, and right now, our community members’ best interests are on all our minds.
Our first call
On March 16, 2020 we made the difficult decision to close our branches. When we closed our branches, community members who rely on the Library for information, comfort, socialization, or even a small daily snack had fewer places to go. Closing our doors caused a ripple effect across our community, and we take the responsibility of addressing these impacts seriously.
As we navigate these challenging times, we are all seeking human connection and reassurance. On March 31, 2020 the Library launched the Ask the Library phone line: an additional way for community members to connect with us, talk to our helpful staff, and find information.
We want our community to know that your Library is just a call away, offering regular Library support during regular Library hours.
This service is available to use for all of our community members. Give us a call, or share this news with friends and family who may be looking for more information during this time.
You can call us at 902-490-5753.
- Find out the current Status of Library Service and closures.
- Ask us anything you normally would at our Help Desk.
- Ask us informational questions, including basic questions about COVID-19.
- Get reading recommendations or E-Library support.
- Chat and catch up. We always enjoy talking to you!
Phone line hours
The phone line is staffed:
You can also email us your questions at AskLib@halifax.ca, and our team will work to answer in a timely manner.
The email is staffed:
Additional ways to stay in touch
- Our website will be kept up-to-date with new ideas, resources, and adapted programs from our team.
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to enjoy daily content and conversation.
Read more about the impact of Ask the Library in our Staff Stories: Ashlee Norton - Ask the Library blog post!