- donate in person at any branch of the Halifax Public Libraries
- donate by phone by calling 490-5763 to donate by phone
- donate by mail by downloading a printable donation form and mail it to Halifax Public Libraries, 60 Alderney Drive, Dartmouth, NS B2Y 4P8
Donate Books and Audio Visual Materials
The Library accepts donations of books and audio visual materials at all branches. Library materials receive a lot of wear and tear, so donations must be in excellent condition to stand up to the high use they will receive.
We particularly like to receive:
- Books that have been published in the last five years, and are in excellent condition
- Recent bestsellers
- Classics that are in excellent condition
- Foreign language books
- Local history titles
- DVDs, Blu-rays and music CDs
Please be aware that we do not accept the following items:
- Reader’s Digest Condensed Books
- Dated information (old travel guides, medical and science books)
- Materials in poor condition (torn, musty smelling, yellow pages)
- Old magazines
- VHS and cassette tapes
You can drop off donated books at any Halifax Public Libraries branch. If you have a large quantity of books to donate, please call ahead to make sure the branch is able to accept the donation at that time, as storage space is limited. Unfortunately, the Library is unable to pick up book donations.
Classification, shelving, access, location and disposal will be determined by the Library. The Library reserves the right to dispose of gifts not added to its collection. The Library does not evaluate materials for tax receipt purposes.
Please see the Library’s Collection Development Policy for more information.