Complete your tax return at a free tax clinic
What is a free tax clinic?
Free tax clinics provide eligible community members with the opportunity to have their tax returns done free of charge. Free tax clinics are hosted by Canada Revenue Agency and their partnered community organizations through the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program.
Am I eligible for help at a free tax clinic?
You may be eligible for help at a free tax clinic if you have a modest income anda simple tax situation.
The chart below shows the requirements to take part in a free tax clinic.
|Suggested income levels|
|Family size||Total family income|
|More than 5 persons||$52,500 plus $2,500 for each additional person|
Simple tax situation
In general, your tax situation is simple if you have no income or if your income comes from these sources:
- benefits such as Canada Pension Plan, disability, employment insurance, social assistance
- registered retirement savings plans (RRSP's)
- support payments
- scholarships, fellowships, bursaries or grants
- interest (under $1,000)
Your tax situation is not simple if you:
- are self-employed or have employment expenses
- have business or rental income and expenses
- have capital gains or losses
- have filed for bankruptcy
- are completing a tax return for a deceased person
2019 Tax Clinics
All tax clinics for 2019 at Halifax Public Libraries are full.