Let us be the new star member of your book club.
Halifax Public Libraries' Book Club Kits are intended to make it easier for book clubs to borrow multiple copies of a single title.
We know it can be hard for all your book club members to get a hold of the same book, at the same time. Scheduling a meeting is hard enough!
Your handy book club helper
We currently have over 140 different, free Book Club Kits featuring new and popular adult titles. Check out our full list here.
- Each kit contains 8-10 copies of the book.
- Each kit includes a folder of author and book information, discussion questions (as available), and sign-out sheets.
How it works
Once you browse our list of titles, please contact us using the provided request form with the following information:
- The title of the kit you would like to borrow
- Your library card number
- The preferred date you would like to pick up your kit
- The branch where you would like to pick up your kit
- Additional titles (in case your first pick is not available)
After your kit is requested:
- One book club member will need to sign out the kit with their library card. This cardholder is responsible for the contents of the kit.
- The kit will be signed out for 6 weeks. Kits cannot be renewed.
- The following fines and lost item fees apply to Book Club Kits:
- Overdue fines: $0.25/day up to a $10 maximum
- Lost fees: Books: $8 each; Nylon Bag: $20; Entire kit: $50
- Kits must be returned in full to a Library service desk. Kits cannot be returned in book drops or to other (non Halifax Public Libraries) libraries.
Enjoy sharing your read and the conversation that follows, on us!
Contact us about your Book Club Kit requests or loans.
Generally, we create these kits using surplus copies of popular titles, so we are not taking recommendations for new titles at this time. It’s a creative way of using books we have already purchased.
Request a Book Club Kit »