Your Library is always free. There is no cost to sign up for a library card, borrow items, or participate in library events.
So that everyone has access to library materials, we do charge fees for items that are not returned by their due date or lost items. There are also fees for renting some Library spaces.
Paying late fees and replacement charges
Have your library card number handy, to pay:
- Visit any of our branches
- We accept cash, and credit or debit cards
- Call us at (902) 490-5763
- Pay any type of fee including room booking fees
- We can accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express
- You can make a payment online
- This option is only for late fees and replacement fees of more than $5 (minimum payment)
- You cannot over pay and carry a balance
- We can accept Visa or MasterCard
It's up to you to return the items that you borrow on time (on or before their due date).
If you want to keep an item for longer, you may be able to renew it. Late fees will not be charged on items renewed before 11:00 PM (Monday-Friday) or 8:00 PM (Saturday-Sunday) on the day they are due.
- You will be charged a fee for each day that an item is late, unless you are a Fine-Free Borrower
- The late fee depends on the type of item and the number of late days, up to a maximum amount. There is no maximum late fee for multiple items
- You can pay your late fee when you return the item or you can pay it later
If you've provided a phone number or email for notifications, we'll try to let you know when an item that you've borrowed is late.
To check the due date for borrowed items, you can:
Seniors (65 and older), Home Delivery users, Borrow by Mail users, adults in care, and accessible collections users are not charged late fees but are responsible for replacement fees.
Read Away Your Fines
If you're between the ages of 5 and 17, you can read away your fines at any of our locations.
- Check in with a staff member when you arrive, start reading, and let the staff member know when you're done
- For every 15 minutes spent reading, we'll remove $2 in fines from your account
Learn more about how to read away your fines.
From time to time things get lost or damaged—it happens. If you return an item that has been damaged accidentally, we won’t charge you a fee but we will gratefully accept any voluntary payments to help cover the replacement costs.
You'll be charged a replacement fee for any item you borrow that is:
- More than 30 days past its due date
- Intentionally damaged
- Returned with missing parts
Most of the time, the replacement fee is the actual price of the item. Sometimes we're able to accept a replacement item instead of the fee.
If you pay a replacement fee for a damaged item, you can keep it.
If you return the item in good condition within 90 days, with a receipt of your payment, we will refund the replacement fee and charge the appropriate late fee instead.
If you return an item with missing parts, you’ll have 7 days to return the missing item before we’ll charge you the replacement fee.
Suspending borrowing privileges
If you have $20 or more in unpaid fees, you'll be temporarily unable to borrow items. You can still attend events, use library facilities including public computers, download e-books and audiobooks, and access digital resources from home.
You can also still renew items—we’ll just need to help you, so give us a call or visit one of our locations.
Once your unpaid fees are less than $20, you'll be able to borrow again.
If you have questions about your fees or are concerned that your outstanding fees are affecting your ability to use the Library, please come in and see us or give us a call. We’re here to help.