Borrow by Mail is a free service available for eligible Library members. You are eligible if:
- You live in a rural area of Halifax Regional Municipality not served by a branch.
- You are unable to travel to your local branch due to disability, longterm illness, or caregiver responsibilities.
To request Borrow by Mail service, please complete our application form or call us at (902) 490-5599 or 1-800-565-4414.
If you’re eligible for Borrow by Mail, you'll be enrolled and we will get in touch to start you in the program.
We’ll help you pick books and more
We can mail a variety of different items from our collection:
- Regular and large print books
- Books and music on CD
Once you are registered for Borrow by Mail, you can:
- Request items on our website. You can search our collection and select Borrow by Mail as your pick-up location.
- Complete and return the request form received with your previous delivery.
- Call or email us. We can help you choose items based on your interest.
To avoid sending duplicates, items are checked against a list of previously-borrowed material. Only Library staff can see this list. You may request that the Library not maintain this history.
How it works
- Items will be mailed to you. We’ll include a postage-paid return mailing label, which you should use to return your items to us by mail. Don't worry about the expense - we get a reduced rate from Canada Post.
- You can renew your items up to three times, as long as no one is waiting for them.
- You do not pay late fees on any items that you borrow (by mail or in person).
- You will need to pay the replacement fee for any lost or damaged items.
- You can still borrow from any of our locations, but any items borrowed in person need to be returned in person to one of our libraries or community return locations. You cannot use the postage-paid envelopes to return items borrowed in person.