Home Delivery is a free service for Halifax Regional Municipality residents who are unable to visit a Halifax Public Libraries branch due to disability, long-term illness, or caregiver responsibilities.
- If you have a disability or personal circumstance that prevents you from using a branch regularly, you are eligible for the service, regardless of age. For example, if you have a visual disability, severe arthritis, a heart condition that prevents you from carrying items, or caregiver responsibilities, you can register for this service.
- You can also register temporarily if your need is short term. For example, you may want to sign up if you are recovering from an operation or illness.
- You do no not need to provide any medical documentation to sign up.
To request Home Delivery service, please complete our application form or call us at (902) 490-5725.
If you're eligible, you will be enrolled and we will get in touch to start you in the program.
If you’re eligible for Home Delivery but don’t live in a community that we service, we’ll register you for our Borrow by Mail service.
We’ll help you pick books and more
We can deliver a variety of different items from our collection - right to your door:
- Regular and large print books
- Books and music on CD
Once you're registered for Home Delivery, you can call us for help choosing items based on your interests.
Every 2 months, we’ll send you an updated list of popular fiction and non-fiction titles to let you know what’s new in our collection.
To avoid sending duplicates, items are checked against a list of previously-borrowed material. Only Library staff can see this list. You may request that the Library not maintain this history.
How it works
- You'll get items delivered to your home every 3 weeks, either by Library staff or volunteers.
- You can also arrange for a friend or family member to pick up your items at any of our locations.
- You do not pay late fees on any items that you borrow (by delivery or in person).
- If you damage or lose an item, you will need to pay the replacement fee and this service may be suspended if you have unpaid fees.
Communities served by Home Delivery
Home Delivery service is available in the following communities:
- Dartmouth, Cole Harbour, Woodlawn, and Eastern Passage
- Halifax, Clayton Park, and parts of Bedford
- Spryfield and surrounding area
- Sackville and surrounding area
- Tantallon and surrounding area
If you’re eligible for Home Delivery but don’t live in a community that we service, consider signing up for our Borrow by Mail service.