Click here to download and read the Arabic version, opens a new window
Curbside Pick-up: Open for service!
Curbside Pick-up is a contactless pick-up service available at all locations of Halifax Public Libraries.
You can use Curbside Pick-up to retrieve your holds. Don't have an item on hold? No worry! When you arrive to Curbside Pick-up a Library staff member will gladly grab a book you would like to borrow, or provide a recommendation. You can also bring or send a print job. All you need is your library card.
Additionally, all our branches offer snack packs, lunch packs, activity packs, and free menstrual products via Curbside Pick-up; free for everyone.
How does it work?
1. Select an item to borrow from our collection.
- Browse our online catalogue to place a hold using your library account and choose your preferred pick-up location. You can borrow anything from a light therapy lamp, to DVDs, to good old-fashioned print books.
- New to placing holds? Check out our All About Our Website how-to blog post to learn more!
- Call your local Library location if you know which item you would like to borrow or if you would like a recommendation. Library staff can place the item on hold for you over the phone.
2. Notification: Your holds are ready!
- If you placed a hold through our website, you will receive an email notification when your holds are ready to check out at your preferred Library location and let you know how long they'll be available.
- If you placed a hold over the phone, Library staff may be able to give you an estimate on when your hold will be ready to check out, or you can call back to confirm.
3. Visit Curbside Pick-up.
- Follow the directional signage posted at your branch's Curbside Pick-up to receive your items. Many branches have Curbside Pick-up set up near their front or side doors.
- You can either knock on the door, ring the doorbell, or call the telephone number posted at the Library location to receive your items.
- Library staff can retrieve your hold using your library card number, or by using your first and last name.
- If you are unable to visit Curbside Pick-up, you can ask a friend or family member to pick up your items for you. When they arrive to Curbside Pick-up, they'll need to provide your name along with your library card number so Library staff can retrieve your holds.
- To help keep you and Library staff safe, please follow all health and safety guidelines. Please wear a face mask and practice physical distancing.
- Need something else? Ask us! Library staff are happy to chat or grab you an item that's on display in the window, provide you a snack pack or activity pack, or assist with printing or photocopying.
4. Enjoy your items!
- Items borrowed from Curbside Pick-up follow usual borrowing periods.
- Our Book Drops are open for returns. If you're returning a larger item that does not fit in the drop, please follow Step # 3 above to return the item(s).
Curbside Pick-up locations and hours
All locations of Halifax Public Libraries offer Curbside Pick-up service.
Click on a location below for hours and specific information:
- Alderney Gate Public Library
- Bedford Public Library
- Captain William Spry Public Library
- Cole Harbour Public Library
- Dartmouth North Public Library
- Halifax Central Library
- Halifax North Memorial Public Library
- J. D. Shatford Memorial Public Library
- Keshen Goodman Public Library
- Musquodoboit Harbour Public Library
- Sackville Public Library
- Sheet Harbour Public Library
- Tantallon Public Library
- Woodlawn Public Library
Other ways to borrow
Do you prefer e-books or audiobooks? Visit our E-Library! Our virtual branch is open 24/7.
Questions? Ask us!
Call the Ask the Library phone line or call your local branch.