The TD Summer Reading Club is a free program that encourages kids (ages 3+) to read over their summer break from school. The program is adaptable to kids of all ages, interests, and abilities.
It gives kids an opportunity to learn and grow with each story. Kids set their own points goal, track their activities, and report back at the Library to earn prizes throughout the summer.
How it works
2. Earn points
When you sign up for TD Summer Reading Club, you'll set your points goal for the summer.
Reading is more than just picking up a book. Kids can build literacy skills without even realizing it; by telling a story about their day, drawing a picture, or helping write a grocery list.
Kids also learn through play, so we encourage kids to stretch their imaginations to earn points in unique ways.
Kids can earn points by:
- Reading, reading, reading—to themselves or someone else
- Telling a joke
- Writing a story
- Exploring a museum
- Conducting a science experiment
- Singing a song
- Playing a board game
- Playing a game or sport
- Making a craft
- Putting on a play
- Drawing a picture... or colouring our fancy colouring sheet (linked here and below for download; also available in-branch)
- Anything that works your brain will help you gain!
- Visit the TD Summer Reading Club website, opens a new window for more ideas.
3. Keep track of your points
Keep track of your points in the Logbook you receive when signing up.
If you run out of pages, you can download and print an extra logbook page, here! Or, ask us at any Library branch.
Report in to the Library throughout the summer on your progress. Reporting on points closes September 9, 2023.
We are thrilled to announce the winners of this year’s TD Summer Reading Club at Halifax Public Libraries! Our participants entered the world of books, activities and play, and came out as champions. A hearty congratulations to all the avid young readers who took part!
Grand Prize Winners:
- Manvik, Captain William Spry Public Library - Teal Nintendo Switch Lite & Super Mario Maker 2
- Kaitlin, Dartmouth North Public Library - Cyclesmith New Bike & Helmet
- Jonah, Sackville Public Library - $200 LEGO.com Gift Certificate
- Rosie, Central Library - Jumbo Squishmallow (Olga the Octopus)
- Mary, Woodlawn Public Library - Afterhours Library Pizza Party
- Lily, Central Library - Afterhours Library Pizza Party
Early Bird Prize Winners:
- Aarav, Bedford Public Library - Nova Scotia Museums Family Pass
- Asher, Tantallon Public Library - Nova Scotia Museums Family Pass
- Natalia, Keshen Goodman Public Library - 5 Swim Passes, Canada Games Center
- Alex, J. D. Shatford Memorial Public Library - 5 Swim Passes, Canada Games Center
As we wrap up another year of the TD Summer Reading Club, we encourage all our young readers to keep their imaginations alight with stories and adventures found within the pages of their favourite books. Best of luck to everyone next year, and remember, 2024 prizing information will be available in Spring 2024.
Keep reading, and you could be the next winner!
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Rules and regulations
Contest eligibility: All draws are subject to Halifax Public Libraries' Contest Ineligibility Policy.
Prize details: Prizes may not be exactly as shown. Halifax Public Libraries makes no warranties with regard to the prizes. Prizes must be accepted as awarded. The prizes are not transferable and there are no substitutions (in cash or otherwise). The Library reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value in the event of unavailability.
Prize notification and pick-up: Upon drawing, a parent or guardian of draw prize winners will be contacted via the telephone number provided during registration to inform them of the win. If the Library is unable to contact the parent or guardian within three (3) weeks of the draw, another winner will be selected. Draw prizes not picked up within six (6) weeks of the draw will be awarded to another eligible person.
Announcement of winners: The first names and registration numbers of the draw prize winners may be published on the Library website, and we may request the winner and parent/guardian permission to take a photo for website and/or social media use.