Books, movies, & CDs direct to your mailbox!
Borrow by Mail is a free service available to residents of Halifax who either live in an area not served by a library branch, or are eligible for Home Delivery but the service is not available in their community.
Regular and large print books, paperbacks, magazines, books and music on CD, and DVDs are available. Materials will be mailed to you with a pre-paid postage label that you will use to return the items. There are no overdue fines on anything sent to you from Borrow by Mail or borrowed from a Halifax Public Libraries branch, but you are responsible for lost or damaged material.
Once you are registered for the service, there are several ways to select material:
- Staff can select material for you, based on your interests
- You can place your own requests on the library’s online Discover catalogue at discover.halifaxpubliclibraries.ca and select Borrow by Mail as your pickup location
- You can contact staff directly and they will make the requests for you
- You can complete the request form sent to you with each delivery
- You can select material from the Update, a list of popular fiction and non-fiction titles mailed to Borrow by Mail clients every two months
Need to know more?
Check the Borrow by Mail Frequently Asked Questions
To register for this service, please contact Borrow by Mail at the phone number or email below.
60 Alderney Drive
Dartmouth, NS, B2Y 4P8
or 1-800-565-4414 (long distance calls only, please)
Email: Borrow by Mail
Hours of operation: Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.