Written by Parisa, Teen Volunteer
Halifax Public Libraries' Teen Blog is written by and for teens. Discover more posts here.
I think it's important for people to take the time to care for themselves. Especially during the COVID-19 pandemic, we can all use a reminder! Here are some basic self-care tips you can focus on daily to help you be your healthiest self.
1. Get moving
- Get up and move a bit every hour. I like to run up and down stairs.
- Stretch. Maybe try something new like a YouTube yoga video.
- Get some fresh air. You could go on a hike, ride a bike, walk around.
- Try a home workout on YouTube like Cloe Ting., opens a new window
- Eat balanced meals throughout the day—include vegetables at every meal and limit processed food!
- Practice mindful eating.
- Stay hydrated—drink lots of water.
- Cook or bake a new recipe—enjoy spending time in your kitchen.
- Practice deep breathing exercises and incorporate them into your daily activities to reset between tasks.
- Do a mindful breathing exercise when you feel overwhelmed—it's proven to relieve stress.
- Try a YouTube videos for meditation.
- Try to have some quiet time every day.
- Hold video chat parties with friends and family. (Here are some tips for using Zoom!)
- Do something kind like send notes to retirement homes and hospitals.
- Talk about things that bring you joy. What makes you happy?
- Call or text a friend.
5. Remember to be purposeful
- Set a daily intention in the morning and check in with yourself at the end of each day.
- Treat yourself like you would treat a good friend—be kind.
- Focus on what matters most to you.
What I do
For me, the most helpful tip of all these self-care tips during the COVID-19 pandemic is finding at-home workouts, as it makes me feel productive and healthier instead of watching Netflix all day long on my bed. I hope these tips help you remember to take care of yourself and stay well while spending more time at home.
If you're interested in hearing more from teens about how to practice self-care, listen to Episode 14 of the Library's podcast It Came From the Second Floor, opens a new window.
My name is Parisa Mirzai. I am 13 years old and I am a volunteer with the Library. I love reading and hiking.