New Brand and Five-Year Strategic Plan Launched
People Centric and Purpose Driven
Tomorrow’s Libraries Begin Today
Today, Halifax Public Libraries revealed its new aspirational five-year strategic plan along with its playful and modern new brand.
“We are so excited with our new strategic plan and brand,” says Åsa Kachan, Chief Librarian and CEO of Halifax Public Libraries. “Every organization has a heart. Our heart is people and how they experience their Library. We travelled across HRM, speaking to our community and our staff to gather a blend of perspectives. We now have a strategic plan that is people centric and purpose driven along with a brand that reflects this energy.”
Reflecting our community
“Your best ideas lead to our best work” is a line from the Library’s strategic plan. It expresses the underlying approach the Library took in forming the plan and new identity.
Halifax Public Libraries collected public and staff input drawing from 1,960 survey responses and 650 in-person conversations at community pop-ups to help shape the plan. At the same time, local design company Breakhouse developed a new visual identity for the Library using inventive and collaborative design processes.
A resource for all
“The opening of Halifax Central Library reminded our community of the richness of what today’s public libraries can offer their community,” says Kachan. “Our new strategic plan and brand sets the framework for our purpose and how it is intertwined with the wellbeing and success of everyone,” says Kachan.
A launch point for growth
You will begin to see the new brand on screens in your branches, on the Library website, and on the new outreach van that travels throughout the municipality.
If you want to explore the new strategic plan and brand, the Library has engagement activities taking place on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram, and in every branch. Digital copies of the strategic plan are available along with a quick and fun 75 sec video telling the story behind the brand.
What's Up - Library News & Notices
- Awards of the Halifax Regional Library Board
- Library Celebrates Nova Scotia’s Acadian and Francophone Roots
- March Break Chess Tournament winners
- Problem with email reminders corrected
- Update on "connection is not secure” alerts for users of modern browsers
- Women Newcomers Invited to Conversation group at Tantallon Public Library
- New, cheaper parking rates for Halifax Central Library
- Free pass introduces new Canadian citizens to cultural experiences
- PEOPLE and TIME/LIFE bookazines no longer available
- Preview your renovated Musquodoboit Harbour Public Library and Recreation Office
- 37 titles added to Zinio e-magazine collection
- Let the Sunshine In: Library opens new art space at Central Library
- Ghost Stories for Stormy, Winter Nights
- Fun, Fearless, Frank: a new podcast called HOTCity
- Expanded printing and photocopying services